13 Embarrassing Questions for Jackie Collins
BY Louis Virtel
June 05 2008 11:00 PM ET
Count up your idols -- whose sex life have you most envied? Well, I don't believe in envy. I believe in doing it yourself. So I would say Marilyn Monroe had a pretty good time until she got herself killed. George Clooney's dick has had some action. Apparently, so, yes! I don't really envy anybody. I mean, I've had a pretty good time myself.
In Married Lovers the protagonist, Cameron, gets drunk and makes a bit of a public scene. What’s been your most memorable drunk-in-public story? Anything recent? Oh, nothing recent! But when I was a teenager living in Rome, I remember getting so drunk that I actually fought off a guy, fell out of his car, staggered back to the hotel, lay down on my bed, and my bed was going one way and the room was going another way. I'll never forget it. And the other time I was going back to London from L.A. with -- oh, God, one of those old English actors -- Peter O'Toole! I wasn't with him; we just happened to be sitting next to each other. And, you know, I was about 17 or 18 then. He started to drink, and I started to drink -- the plane was going one way and we were going the other. So that was memorable. And then his wife met him at the airport, and that was also memorable. [Laughs] Like, "Who’s this teenage drunk you're with?"
What’s your most freakish bad habit? I can't say no. I find it impossible to say no. And I can't say no to chocolate. And I'm also a TiVo addict. So if you give me TiVo and chocolate, and someone asks me to a fabulous party, I won't be able to say no, though I might prefer to stay home with the TiVo and the chocolate. I'm a Libra. We can't say no to anything. You know what, it's that investigative spirit within us. We don't want to miss anything, and then we feel people might be missing us, so we feel obliged to say yes to everything.
You've said several times your harshest critics haven't actually read your books. Those invalidated snipers aside, what criticism stings you the most? Well, I really don't like being criticized for my picture on the back of the book. People do that! They haven't read the book, but they take offense to my picture. Maybe they think I should have granny glasses and a bun. But they criticize the picture, you know: Heh! Who does she think she is? Why is she writing books? Why aren't I? Because a lot of people have that unfinished manuscript in their desk, and they feel if you're not bad-looking, then you shouldn't be writing books, you should be doing something else -- I don't know what.
More on those pop culture and money tangents -- do you secretly admire Paris Hilton? I don't admire her, but I like her. I think she's an interesting girl. I've known her since she was 10 years old. She was always this cute little thing that everybody used to raise their eyebrows at and say, “What’s going to happen to her when she grows up?” And now we all know. [Laughs] She’s very likable, very sweet. She comes across as very demure. But of course if you view her videos on the Internet … otherwise, she’s kind of low-key.
So. The A-list Jackie Collins sex tape drops and hits the mainstream like a monsoon. Who's your bedmate? Colin Farrell. Because I've seen his sex tape, and I know what he’s got to offer. I was quite impressed with it.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 5 min 5 sec ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 13 min 59 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 56 min 34 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 57 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 2 hours 1 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM