From Lebanon, in a Hurry
BY Amita Parashar
July 08 2009 12:00 AM ET
Moawad, who lives in Beirut and works for Lebanon's Feminist Collective, says that the LGBT community often mistakenly uses a "take it or leave it" approach to gain acceptance. Activists expect society to automatically celebrate members of their community, but the effort lies on both sides, she says. "We should also put our stories out there so people can see our perspectives."
The book's introduction argues against the view in many Eastern countries that homosexuality is a modern Western construct (in 2007, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad infamously quipped that his country has no gay people). Fluid sexuality was widely accepted in the Arab world before colonization, as evidenced by celebrated poet Abu Nuwas, who wrote erotic celebrations of male sexual desire.
Despite Lebanon's ancient history, more recent times have not been so kind to LGBT people. Article 534 of the Lebanese Penal Code currently bans "unnatural sexual intercourse," punishable by imprisonment. Still, Lebanon enjoys a higher degree of free speech than its Middle Eastern neighbors, allowing its citizens to organize around LGBT rights through networks like Meem and Helem, a more visible activism group working to repeal Article 534.
As homophobic as Lebanese society can be, though, Moawad says, "it really needs and wants to listen to these stories."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 1 hour 40 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 1 hour 48 sec ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 2 hours 6 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 2 hours 41 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM