BY Michelle Garcia
September 21 2009 7:10 PM ET
With Kate, the main character of My Brain Hurts, was there anyone in particular you were drawing on, as far as inspiration for her story, coming out, dealing with the high school drama?
Well, the character of Kate is mostly based on me at that age. Specifically because when I started doing it I consciously made her look like me when I was 16, so that's pretty much exactly what I looked like when I was that age. And I had a lot of experiences where I had these friends and they were doing really dumb stuff, and I had a lot of moments where I had to make decisions, like, “Do I really want to do this, or do I want to be more intelligent?”
So for someone who hasn't read any of your comics, how would you describe your work?
Well, My Brain Hurts specifically, the way I always describe it is...if the person is familiar with the Canadian series Degrassi Junior High or Degrassi High, or Degrassi: The Next Generation. Any of those. I would describe it as a gay, teen, punk Degrassi in New York. It's like a teen drama, but they're like a little bit gayer and a little bit punker, and a little bit more New York-y.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 7 min 3 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 2 hours 42 min ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 2 hours 55 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 3:17 PM
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2:47 PM