BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2009 2:35 PM ET
Amelia – Anyone who thought Amelia was going to deliver Hilary Swank’s third Oscar would do well to read some of the reviews. “Conventional,” “soulless,” “trite” -- just a few of the words being used to describe director Mira Nair’s biopic. Still, Swank has built a career out of playing women who, when stripped of their feminine trappings, are some of the big screen’s most compelling characters. Something tells us she’s not going to fall all that short here. Check out the trailer below -- it's probably the best part of the movie...
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant – So the latest film to take advantage of the “vampire” craze looks like a Harry Potter meets Twilight knockoff. Who cares -- it’s got Salma Hayek playing a voluptuous bearded lady and is directed by About a Boy’s Paul Weitz. It deserves a shot, no?
Motherhood – Ladies who love ladies will probably get a big kick out of watching Uma Thurman and Minnie Driver face off in Motherhood, even if it is about, well, being a mommy. Reviews have been mixed and comedy isn’t exactly Uma’s strong suit... unless it’s followed by a dance with Travolta or a swift chop to Lucy Liu’s head.
The Marchesa Casati: Portraits of a Muse – One of the most eccentric and notorious European celebrities during the first half of the 20th century, Marchesa Casati (1881-1957) wore live snakes as jewelry and walked pet cheetahs on diamond-studded leashes while dressed in nothing but a fur coat. Her legend is recounted in a lushly illustrated visual biography by Scot D. Ryersson and Michael Orlando Yaccarino.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM