BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2009 1:35 PM ET
Amelia – Anyone who thought Amelia was going to deliver Hilary Swank’s third Oscar would do well to read some of the reviews. “Conventional,” “soulless,” “trite” -- just a few of the words being used to describe director Mira Nair’s biopic. Still, Swank has built a career out of playing women who, when stripped of their feminine trappings, are some of the big screen’s most compelling characters. Something tells us she’s not going to fall all that short here. Check out the trailer below -- it's probably the best part of the movie...
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant – So the latest film to take advantage of the “vampire” craze looks like a Harry Potter meets Twilight knockoff. Who cares -- it’s got Salma Hayek playing a voluptuous bearded lady and is directed by About a Boy’s Paul Weitz. It deserves a shot, no?
Motherhood – Ladies who love ladies will probably get a big kick out of watching Uma Thurman and Minnie Driver face off in Motherhood, even if it is about, well, being a mommy. Reviews have been mixed and comedy isn’t exactly Uma’s strong suit... unless it’s followed by a dance with Travolta or a swift chop to Lucy Liu’s head.
The Marchesa Casati: Portraits of a Muse – One of the most eccentric and notorious European celebrities during the first half of the 20th century, Marchesa Casati (1881-1957) wore live snakes as jewelry and walked pet cheetahs on diamond-studded leashes while dressed in nothing but a fur coat. Her legend is recounted in a lushly illustrated visual biography by Scot D. Ryersson and Michael Orlando Yaccarino.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW 2 hours 33 min ago
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM