BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2009 1:35 PM ET
Chéri – Michelle Pfeiffer reteams with her Dangerous Liaisons director (Stephen Frears) and screenwriter (Christopher Hampton) in this exquisitely made film based on a pair of novels by Collette. The eternally beautiful Pfeiffer stars as a fading (!) Parisian courtesan named Léa de Lonval at the end of the belle epoque who embarks on a life-changing affair with Chéri (gorgeous Rupert Friend), the son of her friend Madame Peloux (Kathy Bates). While Chéri doesn’t reach the dramatic heights that made Liaisons such a sensation, Pfeiffer and crew offer a touching meditation on aging and the transitory nature of beauty.
It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series – Years before Seinfeld, neurotic comedian Garry Shandling starred as a neurotic comedian named Garry Shandling and delivered comedic monologues at the beginning of each episode of this mind-bender of a sitcom. Noted for breaking new ground by breaking the fourth wall, this fondly remembered series ran from 1986 to '90 and featured one of the most impossible-to-get-out-of-your-head theme songs ever.
North by Northwest – One of Hitchcock’s finest pics gets a 50th anniversary edition, complete with more than three hours of special features, including a 2009 documentary on Hitchcock’s style and behind-the-scenes interviews. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint light the screen on fire in this instant classic. Watch one of their riveting scenes below:
The L Word: The Final Season – OK, maybe better known as the season that drove fans to the brink of insanity. Sure, the idea of offing one of the show’s most universally maligned characters (Mia Kirshner’s Jenny) was inspired, but because the planned spin-off The Farm never made it off the ground, fans were left in the dark about who offed her. Too bad -- that character would probably get a humanitarian award. Still, it never gets old watching Jennifer Beals and Laurel Holloman get it on.
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 46 min 46 sec ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 53 min 8 sec ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 1 hour 36 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 1 hour 37 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 1 hour 39 min ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 2 hours 59 min ago
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around the World 11:17 AM