BY Regina Marler
October 27 2009 7:55 PM ET
How did Called Back begin to shape itself in your mind?
I probably imagined I would write an essay about diagnosis. That’s how
it started — the relationship between reading the world and your cancer
becoming legible. And after I wrote that, I was embarking on surgery
and there was a lot to notice there. And the material just came
out — pouring — there’s no dearth of material. You think about each of
these aspects of treatment — each is its own new world. There are books
inside each of these.
I think about being inside the experience.
It’s a very turbulent place. But we’re not expected to be angry. That’s
not the collective discourse around cancer — that’s very monochromatic
and sentimentalized and pink. And we’re not being mobilized around
environmentalism and prevention. We might be enraged and we should be
enraged. We are the victims of environmental disaster.
How did you discover your cancer?
I was reading [laughs]. I was reading in bed, and I can’t remember
what the book was, and one hand was resting on my chest. I just happened
to touch that part of my chest and something didn’t feel right. I’ve
heard since that you’re more likely to find these lumps when you’re
relaxed. So ... there’s another reason to reduce stress. So you can find
your breast cancer more easily.
- Called Back is in stores now from Alyson Books.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 1 hour 22 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 1 hour 36 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM