BY Advocate.com Editors
October 30 2009 5:05 PM ET
DVDs Here's Lucy: Season II
Here's Lucy: Season II— Not as good as I Love Lucy or even The Lucy Show but infinitely better than Life With Lucy (yes, we know —she played Lucy a lot), Here’s Lucy— Lucille Ball’s early ’70s sitcom with kids Lucie and Desi — is now on DVD, with season 2 hitting stores this week. In it, Lucy Carter (Ball, now in her late 50s, early 60s) is a widow who heads back to the workplace to put food on the table. Ball is crazy as ever, and the show is surprisingly sophisticated for its time.
Ally McBeal: The Complete Series— Back when those anorexic jokes about Calista Flockhart were still funny, she was on a show that was actually quite funny, created by comic mastermind David E. Kelly, which served as the precursor for all of his successful legal dramas to follow (The Practice, Boston Legal). The show — which prompted a Time magazine cover asking, "Is Feminism Dead?" — stars Flockhart as McBeal, a man-hungry lawyer as a highly sexualized law firm (she even locks lips with Lucy Liu in one episode). The show brought us many a huge star (Flockhart, Liu, Portia de Rossi, Jane Krakowski, Robert Downey Jr., James Marsden) and now lives on packaged as a complete series.
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 1 hour 31 min ago
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 1 hour 37 min ago
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM