What’s In A Name?
BY Advocate Contributors
April 13 2010 3:10 PM ET
Jack also plays trumpet in the school band, comprised of a lot of other kids who are all called “band fags.” But (like Frank Anthony Polito) Jack hears only the word “fag” when someone says “band fag.” And because of this (again, like Frank Anthony Polito), Jack tries to hide from his true sexual identity, even at the expense of his relationship with his best friend since seventh grade, who is also gay (as was/is my best friend).
Thankfully, Jack is not beaten up, nor does he contemplate suicide as so many young gays who fall victim to such hate-speak unfortunately have. He holds his head up high, and after a series of missteps that involves dating girls, crushing on boys, and meeting the “Giver Goddess,” Judy Tenuta, Jack Paterno begins to accept who he is — a young gay man.
Like GLAAD, which demanded an apology from John Mayer after he used “fag” in an interview, I still cringe whenever I hear the word. (For those who missed it: In a drunken stupor at a club on New Year’s Eve, Mayer rammed his tongue down Perez Hilton’s throat. He described the moment as being “the dirtiest, tongue-iest kiss I have ever put on anybody — almost as if I hated fags.”)
But for me, it’s all about context.
If my partner, Craig, and I are walking down the street and a group of most likely heterosexual guys screams out “Faggots!” then it upsets me. If my 10-year-old nephew turns to his 7-year-old brother and says “You’re such a fag!” it bothers me too. But if my gay best friend says, “What’s up, fag?” I’m not offended. He’s a fag, I’m a fag. This is our word. We have the right to use it if we want — so long as it isn’t meant to harm someone else.
But again, this has nothing to do with the title of my book. Calling someone a “band fag” is not the same as calling someone a “fag.” “Band fag” is a compound phrase. Broken down, “fag” is a derogatory name for a homosexual. But a “band fag” is someone who plays in the school band. (It’s like “fruitcake.” “Fruit” is a derogatory term for a homosexual. But “fruitcake” is something you eat at Christmas.)
Sure, “band fag” might have a negative connotation. But only because some kids think that being in the school band isn’t cool. It has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It’s a name, pure and simple.
“Stick and stones may break my bones ... ” (Thanks, Mom!)
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 2 hours 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM