What to Read: A Gay Books Primer
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 17 2010 3:20 PM ET
B-Boy Blues by James Earl Hardy (published in 1994)
Invisible Life by E. Lynn Harris (published in 1991)
Read concurrently during the summer of 1994, these books represent a major and definitive milestone in my coming-out process. While both very Jackie Collins, pre-chick-lit, chick-lit lite in their approaches and aspirations, to me they were the groundbreaking entries into my own personalized literary canon. Never before had literature spoken to, of, and about me and people who looked like me in such a powerful way. That is, until I went back to read Invisible Life.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples