What to Read: A Gay Books Primer
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 17 2010 2:20 PM ET
B-Boy Blues by James Earl Hardy (published in 1994)
Invisible Life by E. Lynn Harris (published in 1991)
Read concurrently during the summer of 1994, these books represent a major and definitive milestone in my coming-out process. While both very Jackie Collins, pre-chick-lit, chick-lit lite in their approaches and aspirations, to me they were the groundbreaking entries into my own personalized literary canon. Never before had literature spoken to, of, and about me and people who looked like me in such a powerful way. That is, until I went back to read Invisible Life.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View