There's a New Hunk in Riverdale
BY Advocate Contributors
May 20 2010 1:10 PM ET
or not ... will Kevin be allowed to have a boyfriend?
I don’t see
why not. The best thing about introducing a new character is that the
future is wide open. I think it’s certainly going to happen, after a
little while. The other kids have boyfriends and girlfriends. Why not
Kevin? Dan Parent and Victor Gorelick, who is our editor in chief, have
lots of story lines cooking. But I can’t reveal everything.
Although some people thought Reggie [Riverdale’s playboy] was gay, I was always sure it was Jughead. And he
was sublimating his feelings for Archie by eating.
man. Jughead absolutely likes girls. Now, it’s very important that you
have to understand Jughead. He’s complex. He’s Archie’s best buddy and
he’s watched him go through all these agonies with Betty and Veronica.
And he’s not into all the drama. He floats above it. So he eats his
burgers and hangs out. Hey, he marches to his own drummer, man. That’s
why he’s the drummer for the Archies!
So how will Kevin relate
to guys like Jughead? They’ll be cool together?
Not to tip too much, but we’ll have Kevin and Jughead in an eating
contest in the future. He’s just going to be one of the kids. Worried
about grades and stuff.
Certainly, the attention you guys received
when you made the announcement of a gay character had to make you feel
good. All the wire services and places like CNN covered it.
was tremendous. We’re not introducing Kevin just for the press, but it’s
a great thing for us. We’ve been publishing Archie since 1941 — my dad,
John, was one of the three people who started the company — and we’re
always looking for ways to stay current and keep the interest of kids.
While still staying PG. It’s a challenge when you publish a million
copies a month of all your combined titles. Still, to find that so many
outlets found the Kevin story newsworthy is tremendous.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 44 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 24 min 10 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 32 min 56 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 39 min 38 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 22 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 53 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 59 min ago