There's a New Hunk in Riverdale
BY Advocate Contributors
May 20 2010 12:10 PM ET
or not ... will Kevin be allowed to have a boyfriend?
I don’t see
why not. The best thing about introducing a new character is that the
future is wide open. I think it’s certainly going to happen, after a
little while. The other kids have boyfriends and girlfriends. Why not
Kevin? Dan Parent and Victor Gorelick, who is our editor in chief, have
lots of story lines cooking. But I can’t reveal everything.
Although some people thought Reggie [Riverdale’s playboy] was gay, I was always sure it was Jughead. And he
was sublimating his feelings for Archie by eating.
man. Jughead absolutely likes girls. Now, it’s very important that you
have to understand Jughead. He’s complex. He’s Archie’s best buddy and
he’s watched him go through all these agonies with Betty and Veronica.
And he’s not into all the drama. He floats above it. So he eats his
burgers and hangs out. Hey, he marches to his own drummer, man. That’s
why he’s the drummer for the Archies!
So how will Kevin relate
to guys like Jughead? They’ll be cool together?
Not to tip too much, but we’ll have Kevin and Jughead in an eating
contest in the future. He’s just going to be one of the kids. Worried
about grades and stuff.
Certainly, the attention you guys received
when you made the announcement of a gay character had to make you feel
good. All the wire services and places like CNN covered it.
was tremendous. We’re not introducing Kevin just for the press, but it’s
a great thing for us. We’ve been publishing Archie since 1941 — my dad,
John, was one of the three people who started the company — and we’re
always looking for ways to stay current and keep the interest of kids.
While still staying PG. It’s a challenge when you publish a million
copies a month of all your combined titles. Still, to find that so many
outlets found the Kevin story newsworthy is tremendous.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM