Bookshelf: Naked Women for the Holidays
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 14 2011 2:00 AM ET
Artists for decades have captured the female body in print, but few as wonderfully as the late lesbian photographer Tee A. Corinne, whose imagery intertwined women’s private parts with naturescapes, blending the erotic with the natural world. The subject of a recent exhibition at New York’s Leslie Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art, “Lesbians Seeing Lesbians: Building Community in Early Feminist Photography,” Corinne would be pleased with some of the newest coffee table books that look at women, well, differently. Here are eight of this year’s best photo tomes — some by women, a couple by men — that any lesbian or bisexual woman would love for a holiday gift.
the myriad of photographers looking at the female form, former model
turned photographer Sylvie Blum brings an undeniably unique perspective
to Naked Beauty ($69, teNeues). Blum, who has worked with iconic artists like Helmut Newton and Andreas H. Bitesnich, bathes women in a gentle light and lets her subjects transform on film into thrilling naked living sculptures. Every page is
sumptuous and fascinating and she gets props for including women of
color — very often an afterthought in erotic photography. The 160-page Naked is available in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian editions with a forward by Anne Wilkes Tucker.
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! 2 hours 56 min ago
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC Event 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest 4:34 PM