Bookshelf: Naked Women for the Holidays
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 14 2011 2:00 AM ET
Artists for decades have captured the female body in print, but few as wonderfully as the late lesbian photographer Tee A. Corinne, whose imagery intertwined women’s private parts with naturescapes, blending the erotic with the natural world. The subject of a recent exhibition at New York’s Leslie Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art, “Lesbians Seeing Lesbians: Building Community in Early Feminist Photography,” Corinne would be pleased with some of the newest coffee table books that look at women, well, differently. Here are eight of this year’s best photo tomes — some by women, a couple by men — that any lesbian or bisexual woman would love for a holiday gift.
the myriad of photographers looking at the female form, former model
turned photographer Sylvie Blum brings an undeniably unique perspective
to Naked Beauty ($69, teNeues). Blum, who has worked with iconic artists like Helmut Newton and Andreas H. Bitesnich, bathes women in a gentle light and lets her subjects transform on film into thrilling naked living sculptures. Every page is
sumptuous and fascinating and she gets props for including women of
color — very often an afterthought in erotic photography. The 160-page Naked is available in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian editions with a forward by Anne Wilkes Tucker.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM