Advocate Bookshelf: Best Non-Fiction Transgender Books
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 19 2011 7:30 PM ET
She’s Not the Man I Married: My Life with a Transgender Husband ($15, Seal)
Helen Boyd's first memoir, My Husband Betty, introduced the world to her and her cross-dressing husband and her own concerns about whether the man she married is a cross-dresser or a transgender woman just waiting to transition. She's Not the Man I Married is a funny, sometimes infuriating follow up in which Boyd deftly explores the role of gender in her own marriage and culture at large and gives us a thinking straight girl's treatise on the complex world of gender identity.
- Larry King Is Confused By Anna Paquin's 'Non-Practicing' Bisexuality
- The Peculiarity of Black Trans Male Privilege
- Daddy, What Does 'Gay' Mean?
- Tyler Oakley Could Be The First Gay Person You Ever Met
- BSA: Gays Aren't Pedophiles, But They Still Can't Be Leaders
- #TBT: Famous Moments On the Wrong Side of History