Advocate Bookshelf: Best Non-Fiction Transgender Books
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 19 2011 7:30 PM ET
The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals ($12, Cleis)
Lesbian author Rachel Pepper and Stephanie A. Brill teamed up to create this guidebook, the first of its kind to look at the unique challenges facing families with children who are gender-variant or questioning. The Transgender Child includes extensive research and real information on laws and psychology and while it looks at gender from birth to college, the authors tackle questions many parents ask at some point in their lives including, "Is this just a phase?"
Gender Outlaw ($11, Vintage)
Author Kate Bornstein (above) is a transgender lesbian who has bucked the system, considering herself a true gender outlaw by challenging what folks think about
gender, sexual orientation, and womanhood. Gender Outlaw combines memoir with cultural critique and even her own dramatic writing.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 2 min 28 sec ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 14 min 22 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 26 min 55 sec ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 42 min 25 sec ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 46 min 26 sec ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 51 min 10 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 42 min ago