Op-Ed: What My Characters Taught Me
BY Liz Borino
May 25 2012 4:31 PM ET
An author writes a book with the hope that the story or characters will have an impact on readers’ lives, alter their perspectives, or at the very least provide an enjoyable escape. What authors — especially new authors — very rarely expect is the impact their books will have on their lives.
When you sit down to write a book, you usually begin with a set of characters who have a problem, generally caused by another character, idea, or natural event. For a book to take the reader out of the world in which they exist day to day and into the author-created one, these characters must live and grow inside their creator. They’re real. Authors love and hate them — sometimes simultaneously. And you know what? That’s good.
What does all this have to do with becoming a straight ally? Well, the concept for my first published novel, Expectations, was simple: young adult identical twins fighting to win their overbearing father’s approval and sizable trust funds. The fight came in because neither liked the contingencies. Matt had to work at a job he hated, so he coped with women and alcohol. Chris was told to marry and have a son. Seemed simple enough, but even given a smart and beautiful woman, it didn’t work. Then again, it couldn’t. His heart belonged to his best friend, Aiden. I never intended to have two gay men for main characters. However, honoring their love was more important than my plans.
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 54 min 26 sec ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM