Op-Ed: Happy Thanksgiving -- Now Where Are My Marshmallows?
BY Wade Rouse
November 22 2012 5:01 AM ET
There was a knock on the door.
I put my head to the crack in the frame and heard Gary’s voice, speaking very calmly, like presidents do when they announce we’re going to war. “She’s adding the marshmallows,” he said. “And please don’t kill yourself in the bathroom. It won’t do any good. My mother will just decorate around your bloodstain with a few well- placed pinecone accessories.”
I laughed. I needed to laugh.
A few minutes later I emerged, and we were all finally seated at the table as a family. I felt good. This was all going to be okay.
And then, out of nowhere, the bomb dropped.
“What’s on the sweet potatoes?” a grandkid asked.
No one said a word.
“What is this?” the other one asked, picking up the ladle and then slapping it back down.
“Marshmallows,” I said.
“Gross!” they screamed at the same time. “That’s so gay!”
Time stopped, the earth slowed considerably, and the table turned silent. It was then that I actually saw the soul of Gary’s mom fleeing her body. Thanksgiving was officially ruined. I would never be asked back. Gary and I would now forever eat Swanson’s TV dinners alone at home on Thanksgiving, both of us crying in the dark and pretending that the apple brown Betty really wasn’t so bad, despite the fact that the corn had baked into one side of it.
But in the blink of an eye a holiday miracle occurred.
Someone farted—so loudly, in fact, that all of our water glasses as well as the cornucopia platter holding the turkey actually vibrated. Everyone started laughing, and, just like that, Thanksgiving was saved.
And Gary and I started a brand-new Thanksgiving tradition: We began to embrace one another’s families. And they began to embrace us, no matter the day or the holiday.
And those marshmallows?
Well, they never tasted more goldeny delicious.
Reprinted from the book It’s All Relative by Wade Rouse. Copyright © 2011 by Wade Rouse. Published by Crown, a division of Random House, Inc.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 3 min 51 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 24 min 44 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 27 min 38 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 40 min 20 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 42 min 13 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 20 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 1 hour 2 min ago