Books for Young LGBT Folks and Anyone Who Wants to Understand Them
BY Clea Kim
January 31 2013 5:00 AM ET UPDATED: September 24 2014 2:24 PM ET
Between You & Me by Marisa Calin (Bloomsbury, $16.99)
In this debut novel, author Marisa Calin tells a different story of first love in the form of a screenplay. Phyre as “ME” is a girl who starts to develop feelings for her new drama teacher, a woman named Mia. Phyre’s best friend, addressed as “YOU,” is always by her side although we are never clear if “YOU” is a male or female. As Mia is oblivious to Phyre’s feelings, Phyre cannot comprehend the depth of her best friend’s feelings. But while Phyre tries to get close to Mia, her relationship with her best friend starts to grow apart. This dynamic story about unrequited love, relationships and the complications they bring is an easy and fun read for young adults.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism