Books for Young LGBT Folks and Anyone Who Wants to Understand Them
BY Clea Kim
January 31 2013 5:00 AM ET UPDATED: September 24 2014 2:24 PM ET
Between You & Me by Marisa Calin (Bloomsbury, $16.99)
In this debut novel, author Marisa Calin tells a different story of first love in the form of a screenplay. Phyre as “ME” is a girl who starts to develop feelings for her new drama teacher, a woman named Mia. Phyre’s best friend, addressed as “YOU,” is always by her side although we are never clear if “YOU” is a male or female. As Mia is oblivious to Phyre’s feelings, Phyre cannot comprehend the depth of her best friend’s feelings. But while Phyre tries to get close to Mia, her relationship with her best friend starts to grow apart. This dynamic story about unrequited love, relationships and the complications they bring is an easy and fun read for young adults.
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Hilarious Take on This Week's Supreme Court Arguments
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women