Books for Young LGBT Folks and Anyone Who Wants to Understand Them
BY Clea Kim
January 31 2013 5:00 AM ET UPDATED: January 31 2013 5:04 PM ET
Danny’s Mom by Elaine Wolf (Arcade Publishing, $24.95)
Anguished mother Beth Maller has recently returned to her job as a high school guidance counselor following the loss of her teenage son Danny in a car accident. She blames her husband for his death, for he insisted the roads were safe that snowy night, when Beth strongly disagreed. She also blames herself for avoiding confrontation with her husband. This incident causes Beth to become a leader at Meadow Brook High, where she learns to speak out and fight against homophobia, bullying, and negligent administrators, risking her personal and professional life. Danny’s Mom is an eye-opening novel about what really goes on in schools and with the people in charge. This is an excellent and essential read for mothers, adults who work in schools, and the LGBTQ community.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 32 min 42 sec ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM