Valentine's Dinner Idea: Recipes From Dead Gay Celebrities
BY Frank DeCaro
February 13 2013 7:00 AM ET
Rock Hudson 1925-1985
If Rock Hudson had been any more handsome, youâ€™d go blind looking at him. He was six-foot-five and so gorgeous that even Doris Day, the original 40-year-old virgin, wanted him . . . bad. He starred with Day in such delicious romantic comedies as Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, and Send Me No Flowers. He did his best work, though, for director Douglas Sirk in the 1950s, appearing in Magnificent Obsession, Written on the Wind, All That Heaven Allows, Battle Hymn, and The Tarnished Angels. Hudson also made a splash when he starred with Elizabeth Taylor and James Dean in the oil epic Giant. For much of the 1970s, the aging dreamboat was known as half of the mystery series McMillan & Wife on television. After its long run ended, Hudson joined the cast of Dynasty, but by then AIDS was taking its toll on his health. A physically ravaged Hudson became the public face of that dreaded disease at a time when almost nothing was known about it. His most famous leading ladies â€” Day and Taylor â€” rallied to his side. Because of Hudson, the original gay BFF, no one could say they didnâ€™t know someone with AIDS, and the fight against the pandemic began.
Rock Hudsonâ€™s Cannoli
Using an electric mixer, beat the ricotta in a large bowl for 1 minute. Add confectionerâ€™s sugar and beat until light and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add cinnamon, chopped citron, and chocolate chips and mix until well blended. Refrigerate until ready to use. To make cannoli shells, sift flour, sugar, and cinnamon together into a large bowl. Make a well and pour wine into it and mix until incorporated. On a floured cutting board, knead dough until smooth and stiff, about 15 minutes. If dough is too moist or sticky, add some flour. If itâ€™s too dry, add more wine. Cover dough and let it rest two hours in a cool place. Then roll paper-thin on a lightly floured board. Cut into 5-inch circles. Wrap each circle around a cannoli tube loosely, overlapping ÂĽ inch of dough. Seal dough by brushing with slightly beaten egg yolk. With the tube in place, deep fry 2 cannoli at a time in hot oil for 1 minute until light brown. Lift gently with slotted spoon or tongs, drain on paper towel and cool. Remove tubes gently and fill.
3 pounds ricotta
1Âľ cups confectionerâ€™s sugar
Â˝ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons chopped citron
ÂĽ cup semi-sweet
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
ÂĽ teaspoon cinnamon
Âľ cup Italian red wine
For more recipes or to get the book, visit DeadCelebrityCookbook.com.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM