16 Great Books to Read This Week
BY Nick Pachelli
March 25 2013 8:00 AM ET
Bereft by Craig Laurance Gidney (Tiny Satchel Press)
Rafael "Rafe" Fannen has it rough at school. He is one of three students of color at an all-male Catholic college prep school. And the target on his back is made larger because he's gay. Fights in school and troubles at home raise the stakes for Rafe when he falls suspect to accusations of vandalism on campus. Whether it's the truth or not doesn't seem to matter if it's coming from the young black gay student. Bereft — the latest young adult novel from Victoria Brownworth's fledgling and impressive Tiny Satchel Press — takes a brutally honest pass at a 14 year-old's battle with racism, bullying, and homphobia and makes us look forward to the next book debut author Craig L. Gidney.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'