20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 4:00 AM ET
First Spring Grass Fire by Rae Spoon (Arsenal Pulp Press, $14.95)
Transgender indie musician Rae Spoon has six albums under the belt, but this raw and beautifully lyrical new memoir-meets-novel about growing up queer in a strict Pentecostal famly with a schizophrenic father is the best contribution yet.
Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo & Me by Ellen Forney (Gotham Books, $20)
In one of the year's best graphic novels, Forney looks at her her own years of struggle with bipolar disorder, artistis with mood disorders like Sylvia Plath, and tons of hot sex in between. It just works.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 37 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM