20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
First Spring Grass Fire by Rae Spoon (Arsenal Pulp Press, $14.95)
Transgender indie musician Rae Spoon has six albums under the belt, but this raw and beautifully lyrical new memoir-meets-novel about growing up queer in a strict Pentecostal famly with a schizophrenic father is the best contribution yet.
Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo & Me by Ellen Forney (Gotham Books, $20)
In one of the year's best graphic novels, Forney looks at her her own years of struggle with bipolar disorder, artistis with mood disorders like Sylvia Plath, and tons of hot sex in between. It just works.
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality