20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
The Godfather's Daughter: An Unlikely Story of Love, Healing, and Redemption by Rita Gigante (Hay House, $24.95)
You don't have to be a New Yorker to have heard of the notorious Mafia boss Vince "The Chin" Gigante, the leader of the Genovese crime clan and the head of all five New York crime familes for decades. Turns out his daughter, all grown up now, is a lesbian and a fascinating new voice. In this brilliant memoir Gigante talks about growing up in a culture of secrecy, confessing to the godfather that she — the youngest child in hyper-devout Catholic family — was gay, and what happens to the whole family when the truth of their lives comes out.
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- Op-ed: How Not to React When an LGBT Teacher Is Fired