20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
The Godfather's Daughter: An Unlikely Story of Love, Healing, and Redemption by Rita Gigante (Hay House, $24.95)
You don't have to be a New Yorker to have heard of the notorious Mafia boss Vince "The Chin" Gigante, the leader of the Genovese crime clan and the head of all five New York crime familes for decades. Turns out his daughter, all grown up now, is a lesbian and a fascinating new voice. In this brilliant memoir Gigante talks about growing up in a culture of secrecy, confessing to the godfather that she — the youngest child in hyper-devout Catholic family — was gay, and what happens to the whole family when the truth of their lives comes out.
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban