PHOTOS: Global Male Bonding Through Bodybuilding
BY Christopher Harrity
November 01 2013 3:00 AM ET
Anglo-American bodybuilders brought the idea of contests to the field of physical exercise. Building a fine physique is all well and good, but it’s more fun if you’re in competition with someone else. Here are the finalists of the 1949 Mr. Britain contest. American judge John Grimek (1910–98), who was declared Mr. Universe the previous year, looks over the lineup. The winner was Reg Park (1928–2007), the first man in the row.
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Federal Judge Rules for Marriage Equality in Arkansas
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Right-Wing Group Targets Trans-Friendly Federal Nominee
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?