PHOTOS: Global Male Bonding Through Bodybuilding
BY Christopher Harrity
November 01 2013 4:00 AM ET
Anglo-American bodybuilders brought the idea of contests to the field of physical exercise. Building a fine physique is all well and good, but it’s more fun if you’re in competition with someone else. Here are the finalists of the 1949 Mr. Britain contest. American judge John Grimek (1910–98), who was declared Mr. Universe the previous year, looks over the lineup. The winner was Reg Park (1928–2007), the first man in the row.
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Bruce Jenner Ends Speculation, Comes Out as Transgender Woman
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend
- AIDS Org. Made Men Over 40 Pay to Attend Pool Party