Kevin Keller’s Wedding Cover Revealed
BY Trudy Ring
November 28 2011 3:44 PM ET
Archie Comics has revealed that gay character Kevin Keller’s marriage will not only be mainstream comics’ first same-sex union, it will also be interracial.
The comics company has unveiled the cover of the January issue of Life With Archie, a series dealing with the post–high school lives of Archie and his friends in the town of Riverdale, showing Kevin and his African-American husband, Clay Walker, in front of a “Just Married” banner.
Kevin, the son of a military officer, becomes a soldier himself as an adult, is wounded in action, and Clay is one of the hospital staffers treating him. The wedding issue portrays their story in flashback. Archie Comics co-CEO Jon Goldwater recently told Comics Alliance, “This story touches upon a number of topical issues, including [‘don’t ask don’t tell’], gay marriage, and really connects with my overarching message about Riverdale: It’s a safe place that is welcoming to everyone, and will always be that.”
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating