Wedding for Gay X-Man?
BY Trudy Ring
March 21 2012 5:45 PM ET
Apparently same-sex comic book weddings are for superheroes too: Rumor has it that the X-Men’s Northstar is heading for the altar with his longtime boyfriend.
Earlier this month Marvel Comics released a “Save the Date” notice for Astonishing X-Men issue 51, available in June. It offered no details, but several comic bloggers are reporting that the issue will feature the wedding of French-Canadian X-Man Northstar (Jean-Paul Beaubier) and his lover, Kyle. Citing “a source inside of Marvel,” Examiner.com tells readers to expect the first same-sex wedding in the comics company’s history. Northstar came out as gay in a 1992 issue of Alpha Flight; he was a member of the team of that name before joining the X-Men.
This year Archie Comics had a huge hit with the nuptials of gay character Kevin Keller in its title Life With Archie, which projects the lives of Archie Andrews and his pals beyond high school. The event, said to be the first same-sex wedding in mainstream comics history, aroused protests from conservative groups such as One Million Moms, but the wedding issue sold out.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf