Your Queer Guide to Comic-Con
BY Jacob Anderson-Minshall
July 17 2013 3:08 AM ET
Bizarre? Queer? Perfect: Taming the Wild Webcomics Frontier
This panel is moderated by Prism Comics (the nonprofit organization dedicated to LGBT comic creators) and Nina Kester (of tapastic.com, an online platform and community for indie web comics) and explores the frontier of webcomics, which promise instantaneous connections, low costs, and no editorial interference. Addressing the potential for LGBT works in this environment are panelists Tara Madison Avery (Dirtheads), Beth Dean (blackforestdraws.com), Kane Lynch (The Relics) and Alex Woolfson (Artifice). Thursday, 5 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Celebrating 10 Years of Prism Comics
The nonprofit organization Prism Comics provides a network for LGBT comics professionals and fans through its website, events, and convention appearances. Over the past decade, Prism has seen LGBT comics and characters step farther into the mainstream spotlight. Panelists Ted Abenheim (president, Prism Comics), Tara Madison Avery (Dirtheads, Prism board), Andy Mangels (co-founder, Prism Comics) Paige Braddock (Jane's World, Prism advisory board), Charles "Zan" Christensen (co-founder, Prism Comics; Northwest Press), Roger Klorese (Prism board), Jon Macy (Teleny and Camille, Prism Queer Press Grant chairperson) offer a look back at where Prism Comics started, celebrate how far they've come, and gaze into the future of queer comics. Moderated by Justin Hall (whose Lambda Literary Award-winning anthology, No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics, is a fabulous collection and represents the work of dozens of LGBT artists/authors.) Saturday, 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
Gays in Comics XXVI
Whether it's in the high-flying world of capes, spandex, and gravity-defying breasts or wondrously down-to-earth slices-of-life, the LGBT presence in comics has evolved beyond simple inclusion and visibility. Moderators Roger Klorese (Prism Comics Board) and Paige Braddock (Jane's World) explore the next level of authentic LGBT storytelling with panelists Shannon Walters (Kaboom), Justin Hall (No Straight Lines), Leia Weathington (The Legend of Bold Riley), Shena Wolf (Uclick/Universal Press Syndicate), Sina Grace (Li'l Depressed Boy; Not My Bag), and others. Saturday, 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 30 min 16 sec ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 1 hour 30 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 2 hours 30 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 2 hours 31 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM