Your Queer Guide to Comic-Con
BY Jacob Anderson-Minshall
July 17 2013 3:08 AM ET
Anything That Loves: Comics Beyond Gay and Straight
While lesbian and gay people have made great strides toward inclusive representation in pop culture, things haven’t gone as well for those who are bisexual, have fluid sexuality and gender, or otherwise fall outside the binary of gay and straight. Charles "Zan" Christensen (publisher of Northwest Press, which produces LGBT comics and graphic novels) moderates a panel featuring contributors to the new comics anthology, Anything That Loves: Ellen Forney (Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me), Lena H. Chandhok (Pony Tale), Josh Trujillo (The Provider), Kevin Boze (The Virgin Project), Randall Kirby (BOP! Comics), and Tara Madison Avery (Dirtheads). Thursday, 6 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Spotlight on Ellen Forney
Bisexual cartoonist Ellen Forney presents her New York Times bestselling graphic memoir, Marbles: Depression, Michaelangelo, and Me, a brilliant and darkly hilarious evaluation of her struggle with bipolar disorder, which draws examines the connection between artists and mental illness throughout history. Friday, 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Comics Arts Conference Session #6: Masculinities/Femininities
Academic panels are an underappreciated element of Comic-Con. Don’t miss these students’ queer papers: Sheila Malone’s examination of how Batwoman and Batgirl displace the male hero in a contemporary non- hetero world where queer, disabled, and renegade motorcycling are super/powerful; Jaclyn Hymes’s application of Sedgwick's theories of homosociality to Maggie and Hopey's fluid sexualities in Jamie Hernandez's Locas stories; and Eric Schlegel using the lens of queer theory, to explore how superhero experiences of identity can help LGBT individuals understand our own identities. Friday. 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM