BY Brandon Voss
September 28 2009 2:10 PM ET
also tweeted that you thought you looked like a drag queen when you
watched your first performance. You’re not doing your own makeup?
wanted to release control and allow myself to get into the full
pageantry of the first week, so I just went for it with the fake tan
and that Gleam stuff that makes you shiny like Goldfinger. But after I
saw it, I was like, “Oh, my God, I look like Mommie Dearest in
high-def.” It was too much. The tan looks good on the legs because it
brings out your definition, but I’m going to go with body makeup from
now on. The bad thing about a fake tan is that after two days it starts
cracking and you look like the Mojave Desert or a diseased calico cat.
irked me when Lance Bass was a contestant on season 7. I think they
missed a great opportunity to give him a same-sex partner.
would’ve been genius. I only wish that I could’ve had Cheryl Burke as a
partner, but she got Tom DeLay. She could’ve made me look really
smooth, and it would’ve been so sexy. I did pitch a dance with Maksim
where we would switch roles so I got to be the man, but the show plays
to Middle America, so I can’t even show the fact that I have nipples
underneath my leotard.
Growing up in New York in the late ’60s and ’70s, what was your earliest exposure to gay people?
my mother had me at 15 and was divorced my father by the time I was
two. After that, we were living with two Puerto Rican queens on the
Lower East Side, so I’ve always been in the life. I’ve had gay uncles,
lesbian aunties, and, quite frankly, it’s the queens that raised me. I
didn’t get to go to ballet class or to acting school, but I did have
queens who came to New York from Cuba and introduced me to Reinaldo
Arenas. Intellectual gay men turned me into a lady and took me to
museums, the theater, fashion shows, and turned me on to all the things
I’m interested in. I’ve always been fighting for equality and for
finding a cure -- I just did the No H8 campaign -- but who someone
fucks is the least interesting thing about a person.
gossipy manicurist was the best thing about last year’s remake of The
Women, in my opinion, but you’ve been stealing scenes for 20 years.
Among your more memorable supporting roles, you camped it up in Batman
Forever, scammed the Suarez family on Ugly Betty, appeared in Gregg
Araki’s Nowhere, played an HIV-positive thief in Red Ribbon Blues, and
even portrayed a transsexual in Things I Never Told You.To which role
do your gay fans seem to respond the most?
Most people these days
identify me with Entourage, which is kind of insane because I’m barely
on it. My gay fans are always supportive of me no matter what, and they
appreciate that I play strong women. They also appreciate the fact that
I embrace fashion and glamour in my daily life. I hope I can continue
to make my gay fans happy on Dancing With the Stars. In fact, my first
salsa was probably the most important dance to me because my gay
friends I lost in the ’80s used to take me to salsa clubs on a weekly
basis. I wanted my salsa to be fabulous so all my queens in heaven
would be like, “Yeah, Debi!” I felt bad because I messed up a lot of
the footwork because of my nerves, but I hope they’re still happy.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 19 min 1 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 26 min 29 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 34 min 34 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 37 min 9 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 45 min 17 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 4 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 2 hours 9 min ago