The Innovators: Great Gay Moments in 20th-Century Dance
BY Christopher Harrity
August 20 2011 4:00 AM ET
Vaslav Nijinsky: Beautiful and Tortured
Diaghilev’s most famous star, creation, and lover, he became an avant-garde choreographer in his own right. His body was legendary, with short, powerful legs that performed in amazing leaps, and long slender arms that captured a more feminine grace. His most enduring moment was the scandal created in 1912 as he performed his role in L'après-midi d'un faune (The Afternoon of a Faun), which culminated in self-pleasure. With great talent came great madness. For a close-up look at a mind gone mad read his Diary, written in the last six weeks before he was committed to an asylum.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Why Does Vogue Think Bisexuality Is a Phase?
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality