PHOTOS: LGBT Square Dancers Twirl Into San Francisco
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 24 2013 4:00 AM ET
The IAGSDC was formed at a time when straight clubs didn't allow gay and lesbian couples to square dance. And it was almost impossible to find a straight caller willing to call for a gay group.
So in 1983 the Gay Callers Association was formed to fill the need for callers to call for gay clubs; and the IAGSDC was created in 1983 to promote the pasttime. By all accounts it was a wonderful convention in the City by the Bay. More than 1,170 gathered from all over the U.S., Canada, and beyond for the 30th annual convention of the IAGSDC.
Check out their web site for more information and enjoy these photos from the convention on the following pages.
A square dancing flash mob marks the day in sunny Union Square.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 28 min 22 sec ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 37 min 21 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 53 min 53 sec ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 54 min 2 sec ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 1 hour 35 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 3:34 PM