PHOTOS: LGBT Square Dancers Twirl Into San Francisco
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 24 2013 5:00 AM ET
The IAGSDC was formed at a time when straight clubs didn't allow gay and lesbian couples to square dance. And it was almost impossible to find a straight caller willing to call for a gay group.
So in 1983 the Gay Callers Association was formed to fill the need for callers to call for gay clubs; and the IAGSDC was created in 1983 to promote the pasttime. By all accounts it was a wonderful convention in the City by the Bay. More than 1,170 gathered from all over the U.S., Canada, and beyond for the 30th annual convention of the IAGSDC.
Check out their web site for more information and enjoy these photos from the convention on the following pages.
A square dancing flash mob marks the day in sunny Union Square.
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 58 min 22 sec ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 1 hour 59 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM