PHOTOS: Strictly Same-Sex Ballroom
BY Christopher Harrity
November 06 2013 8:30 AM ET
Boston Open DanceSport is open to people of any level of dancing, any age, and any sexual orientation. The Boston Open, sanctioned by the North American Same Sex Partner Dance Association, promotes equality along with artistic and competitive same-sex ballroom dancing.
The competition was held in Junior Ballroom at Hynes Convention Center in downtown Boston in September, where dancers competed in single dance (bachata, merengue, salsa, hustle, polka, country waltz, and two-step), multi dance (international style, American style, and Argentine tango), formation teams, and the show dance division.
The same-sex couples, pro-am couples, reverse role couples (where females lead and males follow at least for 75 percent of the dance) were judged separately.
Kalin Mitov, who directed the event, said 48 couples competed before more than 350 spectators. If you missed this year's competition, don't fret — Boston will play host to those wanting to cut a rug in 2014.
Check out photos on the following pages.
The excitement shows on the faces of the competitors.
Queueing up to compete.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 13 min 46 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 15 min 53 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 45 min 42 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 1 hour 39 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 20 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 2 hours 25 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2:57 PM