BY Advocate.com Editors
October 12 2009 1:05 PM ET
My Life in Ruins – Nia Vardalos resurfaces after a five-year hiatus from the big screen in another attempt at marrying her quirky, leading lady charms with Greek culture in My Life in Ruins. Here she plays a tour guide based in Greece and the Americans have become the butt of most jokes. But the shtick is wearing thin, and a truly ill-advised jab at gay nymphos makes this Greek comedy a distant second to Vardalos's “masterpiece.” Watch the trailer below...
Nip/Tuck: Season 5, Part 2 – Because season 5 of Nip/Tuck was longer than previous seasons, they’ve split the DVD release in two. It works, though, because as crazy as Nip/Tuck has been in seasons past, never before have the gay plotlines been so front and center -- and so beyond messed-up. First, lesbian Liz (Roma Maffia) questions her sexuality after a one-night stand with Christian (Julian McMahon), while an accident on the operating table offs Julia's (Joely Richardson) lady love (Portia de Rossi). Hey, I said crazy, not uplifting.
Peter and Vandy – Writer/director Jay DiPietro makes his debut with this film about the budding relationship between two Manhattanites. Starring Jason Ritter and Jess Weixler in the title roles, the plot unfolds in out-of-order vignettes that underscore the highs and lows of their deteriorating love. Unfortunately, despite strong performances from the leading actors, the movie is bound to receive countless comparisons to this year’s other young and nonchronological love story set to an indie soundtrack, (500) Days of Summer.
Who doesn’t enjoy an evil queen now and then? Revisit the one who’s still the fairest and vainest of them all in Walt Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, beautifully remastered in a new Diamond Edition combo pack. Also on Blu-ray: Fairuza Balk, Neve Campbell, and Robin Tunney conjure up plenty of high school witchery and bitchery in the 1996 horror flick The Craft, and Jack Black and Michael Sera don caveman drag in the prehistoric bromance Year One.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 21 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 1 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM