BY Advocate.com Editors
November 20 2009 1:15 PM ET
The Twilight Saga: New Moon — Whether it's pale, come-hither Brit Robert Pattinson, foxy frat boy Kellan Lutz, or not-yet-legal but toned-as-hell Taylor Lautner, chances are there’s something beckoning you to theaters this weekend (and for the ladies, don’t forget Nikki Reed, Ashley Greene, and Kristen Stewart). Despite calls for a boycott because of author Stephenie Meyer’s affiliation with the Mormon Church, this promises to be one of the biggest movies of the year ... and, odds are gay ticket buyers are going to make up a fair chunk of the audience.
Broken Embraces — In her fourth feature with director Pedro Almodóvar, Penélope Cruz once again pulls out all the stops, this time as Lena, a secretary and part-time call girl. With this release, shot in ’50s film noir style, Cruz is already scoring Oscar talk from critics. If that comes true, this would be her second nod for an Almodóvar film and her third in the last four years. That’s a huge step for a girl who just five years ago was branded a flash in the pan by most Hollywood critics.
The Blind Side— Come on ... Sandra Bullock as a Republican,
gun-toting, bleached-blond soccer mom who faces off against gang-bangers
and drug dealers to protect her new son, a 300-pound black boy with a
third-grade reading level? It’s her Erin Brockovich, and gay
guys love to quote that. Plus, though the trailer looks a tad
saccharine, Bullock’s getting rave reviews — even (gasp) Oscar buzz.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 3 min 45 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 4 min 38 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 20 min 26 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 2 hours 55 min ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM