BY Advocate.com Editors
November 20 2009 1:15 PM ET
Star Trek — There are so many reasons to see J.J. Abrams’s first stab at the Star Trek franchise. Aside from being the film to make a star out of Chris Pine, it boasts killer special effects, yet another star-making performance by Zachary Quinto, and cameos by Winona Ryder and Leonard Nimoy.
Melrose Place Five Season Pack — So what if the original Melrose Place ran for seven seasons. Some money-hungry studio head decided to release the five good seasons in a special DVD package and then burn off the two with Lisa Rinna and that chick who’s now the mom on Gossip Girl some other time. Besides, this set has everything you need: Heather Locklear, Marcia Cross as crazy doc Kimberly Shaw, and Doug Savant as gay neighbor Matt, who never gets to do anything.
Gone With The Wind (70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) — This 1939 classic film version of Margaret Mitchell’s best seller — arguably the most beloved romantic epic of them all — hardly needs a recommendation. While it’s been available on DVD for years, it has never looked more magnificent than in this high-resolution rescanning for Blu-ray, and it’s packaged in a red velvet box with a hardcover book of photos and production notes and more than eight hours of extras, including two new documentaries. The movie itself still holds up beautifully, and it’s unlikely the gods of casting were ever on better behavior than when it came to Clark Gable as Rhett Butler — the epitome of the dashing leading man — and just try to imagine anyone other than Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O’Hara — beautiful, tempestuous, vain, stubborn, foolishly in love with the wrong man, and determined to conquer every obstacle that fate puts before her. She remains cinema’s most relatable heroine. This is a must-own.
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 39 min 33 sec ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 45 min 55 sec ago
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 1 hour 29 min ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 1 hour 29 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 1 hour 32 min ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 2 hours 52 min ago
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around the World 11:17 AM