BY Advocate.com Editors
November 20 2009 2:15 PM ET
Star Trek — There are so many reasons to see J.J. Abrams’s first stab at the Star Trek franchise. Aside from being the film to make a star out of Chris Pine, it boasts killer special effects, yet another star-making performance by Zachary Quinto, and cameos by Winona Ryder and Leonard Nimoy.
Melrose Place Five Season Pack — So what if the original Melrose Place ran for seven seasons. Some money-hungry studio head decided to release the five good seasons in a special DVD package and then burn off the two with Lisa Rinna and that chick who’s now the mom on Gossip Girl some other time. Besides, this set has everything you need: Heather Locklear, Marcia Cross as crazy doc Kimberly Shaw, and Doug Savant as gay neighbor Matt, who never gets to do anything.
Gone With The Wind (70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) — This 1939 classic film version of Margaret Mitchell’s best seller — arguably the most beloved romantic epic of them all — hardly needs a recommendation. While it’s been available on DVD for years, it has never looked more magnificent than in this high-resolution rescanning for Blu-ray, and it’s packaged in a red velvet box with a hardcover book of photos and production notes and more than eight hours of extras, including two new documentaries. The movie itself still holds up beautifully, and it’s unlikely the gods of casting were ever on better behavior than when it came to Clark Gable as Rhett Butler — the epitome of the dashing leading man — and just try to imagine anyone other than Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O’Hara — beautiful, tempestuous, vain, stubborn, foolishly in love with the wrong man, and determined to conquer every obstacle that fate puts before her. She remains cinema’s most relatable heroine. This is a must-own.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 40 min 16 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 20 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM