BY Advocate.com Editors
January 08 2010 2:25 PM ET
The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond — Bryce Dallas Howard pouts and flounces about, acting up a Southern-fried storm as unbalanced belle Fisher Willow in 1920s Mississippi. Too bad it's much ado about nothing, as this previously unproduced screenplay written by Tennessee Williams in the late 1950s probably should have remained so. Chris Evans looks fetching in period garb but barely registers as the beau accused of stealing the titular accessory. Only the great Ellen Burstyn energizes the otherwise tedious film while, ironically, bound to her deathbed as Miss Addie, who begs Fisher to end her suffering. Discerning viewers will wish she could do the same for them.
Leap Year — Will Leap Year have the magic touch to put a stop to all of the Amy Adams hate? After she rose to stardom with films like Enchanted and Doubt, fans turned
their backs on her less-than-stellar turns in Night at the Museum 2 and
the otherwise enjoyable Julie & Julia. Maybe her first time out as
the romantic lead will win some of those fans back — plus, watching her
romance Matthew Goode, hot on the heels of him hitting the hay with
Colin Firth in A Single Man, can’t hurt.
Daybreakers — Ethan Hawke and his teeth get into the vampire craze with this horror film set 10 years in the future in which the human blood supply is dwindling and the vampire race must fight for survival. This is surely a bit more adult than all that PG Twilight stuff, and Willem Dafoe and Sam Neill offer ample acting support.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 33 min 18 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 50 min 38 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 13 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 19 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 15 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 45 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM