BY Advocate.com Editors
January 22 2010 10:40 AM ET
IRM by Charlotte Gainsbourg. This willowy singer/actress is pop culture royalty in her native France — her mum is British actress/singer Jane Birkin, father is French actor/singer Serge Gainsbourg, and grandma is Judy Campbell. Regardless, Gainsbourg is no slouch, she's been lauded regularly for her own artistic contributions (you may recognize her as the voice at the beginning of Madonna's "What it Feels Like for a Girl.") Gainsbourg's third album, IRM, was mostly put together by L.A.'s resident indie Scientologist, Beck. The first single "Heaven Can Wait" is getting some airplay on independent-minded radio stations — the song is good, the video is amazing (see below). Out Tuesday.
Realism by The Magnetic Fields. The deep, soulful voice of lead singer Stephin Merritt can make the phone book sound profound, deeply sad, and more than a little sexy. The fact that he's much revered and openly gay only add to his, and The Magnetic Fields, allure. The 13-track Realism is a follow-up to 2008's coarse Distortion; Realism is a gentler album, reminiscent of the lush pop of Jesus & Mary Chain. Out Tuesday.
The Sea by Corinne Bailey Rae. This British pop/folk singer goes deep with her sophomore release. The heavier and more-thoughtful material doesn't come as a surprise — the 30-year-old chanteuse lost her husband to a drug overdose in 2008. Out Tuesday.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 46 min 9 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 47 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 2 hours 12 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 46 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM