BY Advocate.com Editors
January 22 2010 10:40 AM ET
IRM by Charlotte Gainsbourg. This willowy singer/actress is pop culture royalty in her native France — her mum is British actress/singer Jane Birkin, father is French actor/singer Serge Gainsbourg, and grandma is Judy Campbell. Regardless, Gainsbourg is no slouch, she's been lauded regularly for her own artistic contributions (you may recognize her as the voice at the beginning of Madonna's "What it Feels Like for a Girl.") Gainsbourg's third album, IRM, was mostly put together by L.A.'s resident indie Scientologist, Beck. The first single "Heaven Can Wait" is getting some airplay on independent-minded radio stations — the song is good, the video is amazing (see below). Out Tuesday.
Realism by The Magnetic Fields. The deep, soulful voice of lead singer Stephin Merritt can make the phone book sound profound, deeply sad, and more than a little sexy. The fact that he's much revered and openly gay only add to his, and The Magnetic Fields, allure. The 13-track Realism is a follow-up to 2008's coarse Distortion; Realism is a gentler album, reminiscent of the lush pop of Jesus & Mary Chain. Out Tuesday.
The Sea by Corinne Bailey Rae. This British pop/folk singer goes deep with her sophomore release. The heavier and more-thoughtful material doesn't come as a surprise — the 30-year-old chanteuse lost her husband to a drug overdose in 2008. Out Tuesday.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM