Hot Sheet: Rufus, and
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 09 2010 1:40 PM ET
Lucy Calls the President — We still love eternal gay fave Lucille Ball, even in lesser works like this tale of an Indiana housewife who calls up then-president Jimmy Carter to complain about a housing project scheduled to be built at the site of the local camp for underprivileged children. This 1977 TV special would mark her final pairing with frequent costar Vivian Vance.
Party Down: Season One — Out actress (and current star of the TV phenomenon Glee) Jane Lynch and perennial scene-stealer Jennifer Coolidge help elevate this frequently amusing workplace sitcom about the titular catering company. While the workplace changes with each episode, the misfits who make up the catering crew remain hopeful that something better will come their way.
Pirate Radio — A talented cast, including Bill Nighy and Philip Seymour Hoffman, headlines the latest from Love Actually writer-director Richard Curtis, about a ship full of renegade English DJs in the 1960s. Curtis gets props for handling the homosexuality of a character (in this case, a lesbian crew member) as nonsensational a manner as possible, but the editing of material deemed too British-specific for U.S. audiences (this was released as The Boat That Rocked in the U.K.) keeps the film from sailing.
Falcon Crest: The Complete First Season — Often the forgotten prime-time soap behind Dallas, Dynasty, and Knots Landing, Falcon Crest deserves its second life on DVD if for no other reason than the late-in-life bravura performance by Jane Wyman. The show also introduced audiences to Lorenzo Lamas and Susan Sullivan, later a scene-stealer on Dharma & Greg.
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM