Hot Sheet: Phillippe, Robyn
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 21 2010 3:10 PM ET
The Family Jewels by Marina and the Diamonds — Welsh singer Marina Diamandis is beautiful, odd, and has a great ear for catchy songs. "I Am Not a Robot" is the wacky, wonderful tune that will endear her to America's bearded gay hipsters.Album out Tuesday.
Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook by Bettye LaVette — If you've forgotten, this Detroit soul singer found fame in 2005 with her cover album, I've Got My Own Hell to Raise (a Fiona Apple lyric). Bettye's back with her take on songs from guys like George Harrison, John Lennon, and Pete Townshend. Out Tuesday.
"Dancing on My Own" by Robyn — It hasn't taken long for gays to fall in love with the Swedish pop star's new single, off of her June release, Body Talk Pt. 1. Like her classic "With Every Heartbeat," "Dancing" is electronica with soul, a song that makes you want to flail around and cry simultaneously. Keep up the good work, Robyn.
- From Jail, Kim Davis Still Refuses to Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Best (and Worst) Tweets About Kim Davis
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Mo. Trans Student's Bathroom Struggle Is History Repeating Itself
- Bus Driver Says Rainbow Decal Violates His Religious Freedom
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks