Hot Sheet: Women Rock
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 11 2010 5:35 AM ET
Before Stonewall/After Stonewall: 25th Anniversary Edition. Subtitled “The Making of a Gay and Lesbian Community,” the two documentaries included in this two-disc set offer a comprehensive look at the events leading up to the historic raid in 1969 on New York’s Stonewall Inn and the subsequent riot, as well as the defeats and victories that have followed into the new century. Interviews with notables such as Barney Frank, Allen Ginsberg, and Larry Kramer help make this required viewing.
Cinema Pride Collection. Ten colorful, defining, and iconic films are compiled here in the very first gay-themed film DVD collection from a major motion picture studio. From the tortured characters in the tragic The Children's Hour to the in-your-face stance in the celebratory The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and award-winning ripped-from-the-headlines tales like Boys Don't Cry, nearly every facet of the LGBT experience is represented in this collection.
Happy Together. Hong Kong auteur Wong Kar-wai chronicles a doomed love between two men who relocate to Buenos Aires for a fresh start. This 1997 film is poetic, stylish, and already considered a modern classic. It’s now available on Blu-ray.
Showgirls: 15th Anniversary Sinsational Edition. This lusty, Las Vegas update on All About Eve offers unforgettable performances from Elizabeth Berkley and Gina Gershon, some of the most insanely quotable dialogue this side of Valley of the Dolls, and catfights galore. Let the viewing parties begin as this gay fave makes its debut on Blu-ray.
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 45 min 58 sec ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 47 min 13 sec ago
- World News WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy 54 min 19 sec ago
- Crime Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York 1 hour 5 min ago
- Sports IOC Head Warns Athletes Against Protesting in Sochi 1 hour 16 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Australia's First Same-Sex Spouses 1 hour 33 min ago
- Media Should Edie Windsor Be Time's Person of the Year? 1 hour 46 min ago