Hot Sheet: Mormons, Miley, and Mirren
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 18 2010 5:35 AM ET
Can't Be Tamed by Miley Cyrus — Can't Be Tamed, what some have termed Miley Cyrus's coming-out album, is expected to feature the Disney star in a liberating light. With freedom as a common theme, songs such as "Can't Be Tamed" and "Liberty Walk" feature strong lyrics that emanate independence. Cyrus gives a shout-out to her gay fans with "My Heart Beats for Love," a song for Cyrus's gay best friend and hairdresser, aimed at encouraging inclusiveness and fighting homophobia.
Recovery by Eminem — The rapper once known as Slim Shady is back from his Relapse with new album Recovery. "Not Afraid," the rapper's new single, debuted at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it only the second rap single to ever debut at the top. Recovery also features guest appearances by Pink, Rihanna, and Lil Wayne. Shady recently surprised many by voicing his support for same-sex marriage, possibly showing he's matured a little since his Slim Shady LP days.
Memphis Blues by Cyndi Lauper — Instead of receiving birthday presents, Cyndi Lauper is giving a gift with new album Memphis Blues. The blues album marks a change in style for the pop icon but promises to be gritty and full of life. It features covers such as Robert Johnson's "Crossroads" and appearances by artists including B.B. King, Jonny Lang, and Allan Toussaint.
The Sellout by Macy Gray — Macy Gray's new album, The Sellout, has been a work in progress since 2008. Gray said the album is about the struggles she's faced and is her best work to date. "Kissed It," a song featuring Velvet Revolver, is part of Bravo's summer campaign. Expect hints of soul-pop and new wave along with emotional ballads.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM