Hot Sheet: Cruise, Shears, and Hate Crimes
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 25 2010 6:40 AM ET
Everwood: The Complete Third Season — Gay Brothers & Sisters creator Greg Berlanti honed his skills at realistically portraying a family in crisis on Everwood, which tackled a number of touchy topics during its run, including drug addiction, AIDS, and sexual abuse. Brothers & Sisters star Emily VanCamp got her start on this show, with Berlanti writing her and costars Treat Williams and Scott Wolf some meaty, touching material.
The Maid — This black comedy masterpiece from out director Sebastián Silva focuses on the life of domestic helper Raquel, played with malicious conviction by Catalina Saavedra. After 23 years with the same Chilean family and plagued with health problems, Raquel is at the breaking point. When the family hires an au pair to ease the stress, Raquel declares war.
Soundless Wind Chime — Beautiful scenery (the film was shot in Beijing, Hong Kong, and Switzerland) and a haunting score help to elevate this sometimes lethargic tale of men who seem to be in love and at odds at the same time. Yulai Lu is great as Ricky, but Bernhard Bulling is handsome if a bit flat in dual roles as an abused soul in Hong Kong and a shy shopkeeper in Switzerland, both lovers of Ricky, and director Wing Kit Hung builds to an exciting conclusion.
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing
- The 'Ex-Gay' Candidate for Missouri Governor
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Queer Women in Their 30s Give Advice to Their 20-Something Selves
- Even the Rehearsal Footage From Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour Is Spellbinding