Hot Sheet: Angelina, Jane Lynch
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 23 2010 7:45 AM ET
Black Narcissus: Criterion Collection —Powell-Pressburger's erotically-charged melodrama follows English nuns (among them Deborah Kerr and the astonishing Kathleen Byron as a sister gone mad) who migrate to the exotic Himalayas to open a convent school but find their vows of chastity and sanity tempted by a local British man wearing the shortest shorts that side of the sexual revolution. This must-see classic offers perhaps the most beautiful cinematography ever and has undergone a digital transfer for its debut on Blu-ray. It's also loaded with bonus features including an audio commentary from Martin Scorsese.
I Do & I Don't—Jane Lynch’s pre-Glee turn as a hard drinking, cigarillo-smoking suburban cougar is the highlight of this screwball comedy about a couple forced to endure pre-marital counseling from a couple ill-equipped to advise them.
The Red Shoes: Criterion Collection — Another of Powell-Pressburger's gorgeous fantasias from the 1940s, this one loosely-based on the Hans Christian Anderson story, follows a young ballerina (the dazzling Moira Shearer) devoted to her art and torn between an idealistic composer and a ruthless impresario who demands perfection. The film is widely considered the greatest and most influential dance film of all time and the ballet sequence at the center of the film is almost hallucinatory. The Red Shoes makes its debut on Blu-ray and contains a bevy of bonus features including interviews and Jeremy Irons reading the original fairy tale.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 2 hours 17 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM