The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 06 2010 6:00 AM ET
Flipped — Fresh from successfully helping to fund the federal court case that ultimately led to California’s Proposition 8 being overturned earlier this week, Rob Reiner returns to the director’s chair with Flipped, a coming-of-age dramedy set in the ’60s about — fittingly — love. Reiner has rounded out his cast with a who’s who of Hollywood favorites (Anthony Edwards, Rebecca De Mornay, An Early Frost’s Aidan Quinn, and Broken Hearts Club’s John Mahoney) for this touching story — a breath of fresh air among the loud, big-budget films that dominate late summer.
Step Up 3D — For the third installment in the Step Up series, producers have taken the tried-and-true mold of sexy male lead meets sexy female lead for 90 minutes of hip-hop meets ballet and filmed it in 3D. Like the first two films, Step Up 3D is short on plot — but with producer Adam Shankman working behind the scenes and several finalists from TV’s So You Think You Can Dance, it’s bound to be visually captivating.
Twelve — Stunning cinematography highlights this Joel Schumacher-directed adaptation of Nick McDonnell’s novel, which stars Gossip Girl's Chace Crawford as a drug dealer who struggles with his inner demons while providing a steady supply to the teenage bourgeoisie. The constant and often poetic narration by Rufus Wainwright seamlessly bridges the character’s stories and grounds the film in an artistic and literary context.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 32 min 12 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 57 min 48 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 42 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM