The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 06 2010 5:00 AM ET
The House by Katie Melua — With her fourth album, Melua proves again what a versatile artist she is, this time entering into a world that is paradoxically both darkly profound and lightheartedly lovable. Going from the quiet haunting metaphors of “Red Balloons” to the retro Connie Francis vibe of “Plague of Love,” Melua refuses to be defined by a single genre. Other notable songs include the jazzy number “Moment of Madness,” the surprisingly pop track “A Happy Place,” and the international hit “The Flood.”
“Hurt” by Our Lady J — What do you get when you mix songwriting by Nine Inch Nails, a legacy by Johnny Cash, and ethereal vocals à la Imogen Heap? The next brilliant incarnation of Trent Reznor’s “Hurt,” in which Our Lady J evokes the bittersweet beauty of the lyrics. A steady beat and delicate piano arpeggios also energize the song to anthemic proportions. “Hurt” is the debut single from Our Lady J’s in-progress album, The Gospel Electric. The artist, who has received high praise from musicians such as Dolly Parton and Jake Shears, begins a mini-tour of the U.K. August 9. Purchase the single here.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 28 min 50 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM