Hot Sheet: Franco, Miley, and Virginia Woolf
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2010 5:00 AM ET
Eat, Pray, Love — Director Ryan Murphy (Glee, Nip/Tuck) inspires audiences with a deep sense of wanderlust in the film adaptation of Elizabeth Gilbert's memoir. Julia Roberts as Gilbert spends a year traveling through Italy, India, and Bali in order to discover herself by discovering the world around her. Viola Davis is lively as her best friend and James Franco, Javier Bardem, and Billy Crudup provide romance and eye candy.
The Expendables — A Sylvester Stallone flick might not seem like the most obvious choice to see this weekend, but when you consider that he’s recruited just about every big action star of the past 25 years for his latest directorial effort, you realize there’s appeal for everyone here — even a highly touted scene involving Stallone, Bruce Willis, and California’s governator, Ah-nuld. Don’t expect a gay story line, but with hotties (Jason Statham), still-hotties (Dolph Lundgren), and enough muscle to flip a Hummer, Stallone’s mercenaries gone wild flick is bound to put some gay butts in the seats.
Patrik, Age 1.5 — A gay couple desperate to adopt a child respond to a letter offering the chance to look after a Swedish child in need of a home — Patrik 1.5. But when a homophobic teen Patrik shows up instead of the toddler they were expecting, the three have to put their differences aside and make the best of a bad situation. A favorite at on the film festival circuit, Patrik, Age 1.5 seamlessly blends comedy and drama, with a surprisingly serious tale of love and acceptance underneath. Director Ella Lemhagen was nominated for Sweden’s academy award for her first film in 1996 and won for her second three years later.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 1 hour 3 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 1 hour 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 1 hour 34 min ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 1 hour 57 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 1 hour 59 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM