Hot Sheet: Franco, Miley, and Virginia Woolf
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 13 2010 6:00 AM ET
Eat, Pray, Love — Director Ryan Murphy (Glee, Nip/Tuck) inspires audiences with a deep sense of wanderlust in the film adaptation of Elizabeth Gilbert's memoir. Julia Roberts as Gilbert spends a year traveling through Italy, India, and Bali in order to discover herself by discovering the world around her. Viola Davis is lively as her best friend and James Franco, Javier Bardem, and Billy Crudup provide romance and eye candy.
The Expendables — A Sylvester Stallone flick might not seem like the most obvious choice to see this weekend, but when you consider that he’s recruited just about every big action star of the past 25 years for his latest directorial effort, you realize there’s appeal for everyone here — even a highly touted scene involving Stallone, Bruce Willis, and California’s governator, Ah-nuld. Don’t expect a gay story line, but with hotties (Jason Statham), still-hotties (Dolph Lundgren), and enough muscle to flip a Hummer, Stallone’s mercenaries gone wild flick is bound to put some gay butts in the seats.
Patrik, Age 1.5 — A gay couple desperate to adopt a child respond to a letter offering the chance to look after a Swedish child in need of a home — Patrik 1.5. But when a homophobic teen Patrik shows up instead of the toddler they were expecting, the three have to put their differences aside and make the best of a bad situation. A favorite at on the film festival circuit, Patrik, Age 1.5 seamlessly blends comedy and drama, with a surprisingly serious tale of love and acceptance underneath. Director Ella Lemhagen was nominated for Sweden’s academy award for her first film in 1996 and won for her second three years later.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 9 min 56 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 15 min 59 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 12 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 41 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 33 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM