The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 20 2010 6:05 AM ET
The Switch — This Jennifer Aniston–Jason Bateman artificial insemination rom-com might have flown under the radar and disappeared from theaters in a snap were it not for Bill O’Reilly making Aniston 2010’s Murphy Brown. The talk-show host suggested Aniston’s comments about the film were harmful to the American family and asserted that every child needs a mother and a father. Aniston, herself single and a longtime supporter of gay rights, came back swinging, suggesting not every woman has found her “Bill O’Reilly” and that there’s no clear-cut image of the perfect family. But back to the film, which is predictably getting mixed reviews with Aniston and Bateman largely escaping unscathed. On the heels of The Back-up Plan, which boasted a similar plot, look for The Switch to be better but fare worse.
Piranha 3D — The danger in setting out to make a “B-grade” horror film is that often it will miss the humor and camp that make those films successful and instead become just another bad movie. But director Alexandre Aja has smartly packed Piranha 3D with a cast of recognizable faces (Elizabeth Shue as the town sheriff, Christopher Lloyd as a fish expert, Jerry O’Connell as a Girls Gone Wild–type filmmaker) to make a film so bad, it’s great. And as in any film that tips its hat to Girls Gone Wild, there is the requisite make-out session between two girls — here, 90210’s Jessica Szohr and a porn star.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM