The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 20 2010 6:05 AM ET
The City of Your Final Destination — Sir Anthony Hopkins in a spirited turn as a gay expat helps enliven the languid tale of a young academic's struggle to write a biography of a celebrated but deceased writer. Laura Linney costars in James Ivory's first solo film after the death of longtime partner Ismail Merchant.
Brothers and Sisters: The Complete Fourth Season — For anyone who’s wondering where to find the most accurate representation of gay people on television, look no further. Brothers and Sisters has always done right by its gay characters, but season 4 hit a new high. Kevin (Matthew Rhys) and Scotty (Luke Macfarlane) going through the ups and downs of surrogacy was certainly timely, but wrapping the difficulty Kevin had coming to terms with his sexuality as a teenager into the season’s big overarching mystery tugged at the heartstrings and spoke all too plainly to the issues of acceptance and fear so many of us have faced. Kevin’s subsequent heart-to-heart with mom Nora (Sally Field) was the conversation every gay man wishes they could have with a parent, and the season finale’s big reveal about Uncle Saul promises to broach the topic of health and gay seniors too often ignored not just by television but by our community.
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World