The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 27 2010 6:05 AM ET
Katy Perry: Teenage Dream — If Katy Perry won over gay fans with the release of her first album, then she’s secured their loyalty on her second. Teenage Dream is packed with songs ripe to be remixed, and first single “California Gurls” already boasts a number of gay video tributes on YouTube. The singer’s voice is also much improved this time around, and she gives a solid vocal performance that will likely be recognized come Grammy time on the title track.
Fantasia: Back to Me — Fantasia’s made headlines in recent weeks mostly for her suicide attempt, but the singer gets back to what she does best on Back to Me, a collection of soul/R&B tunes that showcase the American Idol winner’s impressive set of pipes. “Bittersweet” is a throwback to early-’80s ballads featuring powerhouse vocalists, and the singer knocks it out of the park with “I’m Here,” the showstopper from the musical The Color Purple.
Heart: Red Velvet Car — Sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson reunite with their band for their first album in nearly six years — and their first on a major label since the mid ’90s. In recent years the girls have become a staple among lesbian fans in particular, thanks to their appearance on The L Word and their participation in Linda Perry’s An Evening With Women benefit. The 10-song, mostly acoustic set is a must-buy, particularly for fans of “Barracuda”-era Heart. And the woman with the big voice sounds better than ever.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 2 hours 44 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM