The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 27 2010 5:05 AM ET
Katy Perry: Teenage Dream — If Katy Perry won over gay fans with the release of her first album, then she’s secured their loyalty on her second. Teenage Dream is packed with songs ripe to be remixed, and first single “California Gurls” already boasts a number of gay video tributes on YouTube. The singer’s voice is also much improved this time around, and she gives a solid vocal performance that will likely be recognized come Grammy time on the title track.
Fantasia: Back to Me — Fantasia’s made headlines in recent weeks mostly for her suicide attempt, but the singer gets back to what she does best on Back to Me, a collection of soul/R&B tunes that showcase the American Idol winner’s impressive set of pipes. “Bittersweet” is a throwback to early-’80s ballads featuring powerhouse vocalists, and the singer knocks it out of the park with “I’m Here,” the showstopper from the musical The Color Purple.
Heart: Red Velvet Car — Sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson reunite with their band for their first album in nearly six years — and their first on a major label since the mid ’90s. In recent years the girls have become a staple among lesbian fans in particular, thanks to their appearance on The L Word and their participation in Linda Perry’s An Evening With Women benefit. The 10-song, mostly acoustic set is a must-buy, particularly for fans of “Barracuda”-era Heart. And the woman with the big voice sounds better than ever.
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 2 hours 8 min ago
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 6:00 AM
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM