The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 27 2010 6:05 AM ET
The Back-Up Plan — Jennifer Lopez pairs with gay director Alan Poul for this artificial insemination comedy about a woman who gives up on finding Mr. Right, then meets him on the cab ride home after becoming impregnated. The humor is a bit uneven, but Lopez is in her element here, even echoing shades of Lucille Ball. And the mostly lesbian birthing team she finds for support provides the film with its biggest laughs. Kudos too for finding leading man Alex O’Loughlin. Nice!
The Lottery — The Lottery is a heartbreaking and ultimately inspiring look at the failings of the American educational system, highlighting four families who have entered their kids in a charter school lottery with the hope of a better future. Directed by Madeleine Sackler and shot by award-winning cinematographer Wolfgang Held, the film takes a blunt look at the dire need for education reform — and will surely tug at the heartstrings of anyone with children or hoping to one day raise children.
Dorian Gray — The latest film adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s The Picture of Dorian Gray stars The Chronicles of Narnia’s Ben Barnes in the titular role — and doesn’t shy away from Dorian’s gay leanings. The film didn’t score a stateside release but was a commercial hit in the U.K. Costarring Colin Firth and Rebecca Hall, the film suffers from the same shortcomings as nearly every adaptation — this is one of those stories that’s better read than seen.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 1 hour 56 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 52 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM