The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 03 2010 5:10 AM ET
Machete — Perhaps unfairly, Machete is getting most of its press because recently freed tabloid staple Lindsay Lohan pops up in her first film role in three years. Interestingly, she’s naked half the time and also dons a nun’s habit. Take that to mean what you will. Beyond that, Machete was born out of a fake trailer that aired before 2007’s Grindhouse double feature, so expect tons of scantily clad women with guns. Director Robert Rodriguez is scoring good reviews for the film, which also stars Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, and maybe-she-is, maybe-she-isn’t gay Michelle Rodriguez.
Going the Distance — Die-hard Prop. 8 opponent and self-described bisexual Drew Barrymore pairs up with her on-again, off-again boyfriend Justin Long in this late-summer romance — which is rated R. Expect some adult humor this time around from Drew and company, which includes scene-stealer Christina Applegate in the best friend role.
The American — George Clooney turns in quite possibly the best performance of his career in the shockingly subdued action thriller The American. Shot on location in Italy and Sweden, the film will likely disappoint fans who’ve grown accustomed to the Michael Bay style of making action movies. At its core, The American is really more a character study, with Clooney picture-perfect as a lonely, depressed assassin looking to get out of the business. Also excellent is Italian actress Violante Placido as the call girl he falls for.
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 5 min 57 sec ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM