The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 03 2010 6:10 AM ET
Machete — Perhaps unfairly, Machete is getting most of its press because recently freed tabloid staple Lindsay Lohan pops up in her first film role in three years. Interestingly, she’s naked half the time and also dons a nun’s habit. Take that to mean what you will. Beyond that, Machete was born out of a fake trailer that aired before 2007’s Grindhouse double feature, so expect tons of scantily clad women with guns. Director Robert Rodriguez is scoring good reviews for the film, which also stars Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, and maybe-she-is, maybe-she-isn’t gay Michelle Rodriguez.
Going the Distance — Die-hard Prop. 8 opponent and self-described bisexual Drew Barrymore pairs up with her on-again, off-again boyfriend Justin Long in this late-summer romance — which is rated R. Expect some adult humor this time around from Drew and company, which includes scene-stealer Christina Applegate in the best friend role.
The American — George Clooney turns in quite possibly the best performance of his career in the shockingly subdued action thriller The American. Shot on location in Italy and Sweden, the film will likely disappoint fans who’ve grown accustomed to the Michael Bay style of making action movies. At its core, The American is really more a character study, with Clooney picture-perfect as a lonely, depressed assassin looking to get out of the business. Also excellent is Italian actress Violante Placido as the call girl he falls for.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 3 min 14 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 45 min 28 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 25 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 31 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 28 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 57 min ago