The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 03 2010 5:10 AM ET
Machete — Perhaps unfairly, Machete is getting most of its press because recently freed tabloid staple Lindsay Lohan pops up in her first film role in three years. Interestingly, she’s naked half the time and also dons a nun’s habit. Take that to mean what you will. Beyond that, Machete was born out of a fake trailer that aired before 2007’s Grindhouse double feature, so expect tons of scantily clad women with guns. Director Robert Rodriguez is scoring good reviews for the film, which also stars Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, and maybe-she-is, maybe-she-isn’t gay Michelle Rodriguez.
Going the Distance — Die-hard Prop. 8 opponent and self-described bisexual Drew Barrymore pairs up with her on-again, off-again boyfriend Justin Long in this late-summer romance — which is rated R. Expect some adult humor this time around from Drew and company, which includes scene-stealer Christina Applegate in the best friend role.
The American — George Clooney turns in quite possibly the best performance of his career in the shockingly subdued action thriller The American. Shot on location in Italy and Sweden, the film will likely disappoint fans who’ve grown accustomed to the Michael Bay style of making action movies. At its core, The American is really more a character study, with Clooney picture-perfect as a lonely, depressed assassin looking to get out of the business. Also excellent is Italian actress Violante Placido as the call girl he falls for.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM